Thursday, April 7, 2011

We're home....

and of course, it's the pits.  Even though I'm sure I don't have jet lag....I also don't have any motivation...or energy ...or much of anything really. Getting back into some sort of routine is proving difficult.  I've been just wandering about the house.... trying to decide where to begin.  Of course, it's only been a day and a half.  Or, perhaps it's looking out my front door and seeing this that has some detrimental affect....













after all....it's a long way from this isn't it?....















It's tough to go from sun, sand and surf ....to snow, cold and dull......















That does it.  I'm just going to look at my little collection of sea glass, shells worn to a glass-like finish...and my cute little hand painted souvenirs instead.















..or my cork and silver jewellery.. Portugal is well known for its cork oaks... producing about 50% of the world cork harvest.  It is a great sustainable resource with big impact on the ecosystem and it's now illegal to cut down a cork oak.  No longer just used for high end wine corking anymore either  ..... jewellery, hand bags, even clothing, made from cork, is pretty amazing to see and feel.  It feels like velvet. We even saw an amazing wedding dress in Batalha made from cork.  I'm not sure what happened...we must have been too stunned to remember to take a photo.....or maybe it was because we were so busy looking at all the beautiful hand bags... which we didn't buy but probably should have... they were lovely. It was a stunning dress ...and so unlike any wedding dress I've ever seen.















Funny how a new and exciting holiday routine becomes so quickly embedded...and yet getting back to the old and familiar, or perhaps the mundane, takes much longer.  Hmmmm........

There I was..    having coffee by myself this morning (ours seems to pale in comparison) ..... wishing I had some company and some lovely Portuguese bread for toast..... then I found myself surfing the 'net for recipes for breads... Portuguese breads.  I did find several.  Bookmarked now.... and ready to go..... I sure hope I can manage a dense, tasty cornbread like some we found... mmmmmm..... not anything like the cornbread we think of at all.  This is a rustic, yeast based loaf...with a firm dark crust.... oh, man..my mouth is watering just thinking about it.  I'll keep ya posted....

I remember thinking about how I would be so organized before we left.  Oh, sure....absolutely.  I was going to take photos.... upload them.. label things... write about them... blah, blah..blah.... yeh...right...as if......

Both Maria (my friend and wonderful hostess) and I... somehow managed to take at least 100 to 150 photos a day!   Every single day!  Hahahahahah.... and, now?   Three weeks have evaporated; I have totally forgotten some of where we were; what we were doing and even which day it was.  And, who even wore a watch or cared what time it was either? So...I will probably just post lots of the beautiful pictures and try to add a name or a town or something and call it a day.

If I do post some that you absolutely must know the name or origin of, ... please just ask.... I will definitley enlist Maria's help...and let you know exactly where it is....


ps...... oh, great....I just looked out the window...and it's snowflaking....arrghhhhh!

13 comments:

Susan said...

Welcome home again. Sounds like it's been a real shock to your system (being back)- you've definitely got a bad case of Holiday Withdrawal ;-)

Love your souvenirs. How incredible the things that can be made from cork - quite amazing in fact.

From what we've already seen, your pictures will be fabulous... no worries if you can't remember the details.

The fun of not knowing or caring what time it was, or even which day - yep, we know that feeling too, it's bliss!

Hope the sun starts to warm things up over your way real soon :D)

Serena Lewis said...

Welcome back, Vee! I've just realised that your blog hasn't been updating on my blog list....weird! It finally updated this morning and I came over to see I have a lot of catching up to do. It sounds like you had an amazing time in Portugal! I LOVED the photos so feel free to post as many as you like. That painted spoon rest is so pretty and the cork bracelet(?) is too! I LOVE spirals!

It's always good to get back home but I imagine it would be the difficult aspects after such a lovely holiday away.

~Leah said...

OH! I know the feeling...the slow pace of a far away town, so rich with culture and tradition! Often, after a day of running errands at Target and other trendy suburban stores, I think of the time I spent a month on the Baja of Mexico with my parents, right on the Bay Of Conception, miles and miles from tourist traps like Cabo. There were the most beautiful EMTY beaches, and the friendliest people. We had nothing but hours every day to just walk, sit, ride bikes, fish, dance... ahhhhhhhh yes, rich, in so many ways that money has nothing to do with!
Glad you made it home safe. Eventually, life will seem normal once again. Perhaps planning another trip in the future may make it a bit easier ;)

Unknown said...

BV, You're not alone having your coffee this morning! We're all here!
You're holiday shots look lovely and I'm looking forward to lots more.
I can understand that you can't get motivated....you're still in holiday mode. It'll wear off too quickly so make the most of it.
Have a great day. Maa

Jennifer Rose said...

o.0 snow?!?! pass

sounds like you have jet leg to me :/ not fun

that is such a cool looking piece of jewellery :D

BeadedTail said...

Welcome home! Your trip sounds wonderful and your souvenirs are lovely!

Celestina Marie said...

Welcome back home. Greeted by snow is not much of a home coming I am sure. How wonderful your vacation was and the pics so far are perfectly inspiring for warmer days ahead.
I know how hard it is to get back into the swing of life when you have been in a warm and delicious country such as Portugal. The bread sounds so yummy.
Looking forward to more pics of your fabulous trip.

I'll send some warm Texas air to melt your snow. Have a great weekend,
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Catherine said...

Boooooooo snow!!! Go away go away go away!!!

Oh it's just getting ridiculous isn't it???

Glad you made it home safe and sound!
xo Catherine

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back, and entertaining us with your inimitable style! I can't believe you still have nasty snow - we have had a wonderful weekend - we even had lunch in the garden yesterday!!

Shashi Nayagam said...

Welcome back, sorry that you were greated by this wesather. But the main thing is that you deserved that wonderful holiday I am sure.

Anonymous said...

Haaaa the wonderful moments we spent together, unforgetable! Miss you already. You know you are always welcome back. I so enjoyed your company and the travels to the various historical places, the shopping days ... the market place, now that was funny.
Yep, you have jetlag. The memories of a holiday linger on for awhile, making it hard to focus on doing anything. Take care.
Hugs ... Maria

Draffin Bears said...

Welcome back Vee and it is always hard to return back after a lovely holiday.
I do hope the snow goes away and you get some Spring weather.
I love all the souvenirs you came back with.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Welcome Back Vee! I missed you!
I am so happy you had a wonderful trip.
Now take time to relax. :)
Hugs