Monday, September 28, 2009

Photo a week...

I'll spare you the minute details ..... suffice to say.....we are still at it.











Okay, I won't. I love it when others are going through the reno wars... I actually laugh sometimes .... because I have gone through so much of it and most of it is not fun. So, I may as well let a few others have a good laugh. Oh, sure, the end results are great and I do appreciate how it turns out...but, ohhhh, the agony in between the planning and the completion. In between snarking at each other.... we are painting ..putting on moldings, filling Brad nail holes, sanding, painting, running new wiring .. everybody wonders why we are not finished yet of course.... (probably you too) ... but, it all takes plenty more time than it should. And... with an undercoat of Zinser on all new surfaces..or a light sanding and then Zinser on those previously painted with oil base ..then two coats of colour... ...the days go by in a blur and we still have plenty more to do.




























The past few days we have been at it too many hours each day.... the carpet layers will be here Thursday, Friday and maybe even part of Saturday so we have no choice. They need a couple days... it is more than laying carpet. The first day they will rip out old carpet and underlay... as well as some of the nailing strips along the edges... "float" the old cement in all three rooms ... put down new strips, etc. There are some holes in the cement as well as some ridges that have become apparent in wear patterns in the old carpeting....so this time... it will all be made nice and level ...before the underlay goes down. Woohooo.... carpeting in the exercise room! Yeh...

Yesterday in between running up and down to paint or help carry down extra long baseboards.. I actually managed to bake a Tuscan Peasant Loaf. It's peasant bread. What could be more perfect? A very forgiving recipe and a good thing ... becuz I was up and down when I could make it. Anyway, I bet those poor peasants didn't always have a watch. Matter of fact, I know they didn't. Or... didn't always make it in from the fields or tending sheep or whatever in time to punch it down after only a certain amount of time. It turned out great. Said it the other day and have to say again...that bread makes the absolute best toast... and...the best garlic toast. A lovely crunchy crust... mmmmm. had it with spaghetti last night for a late easy supper. Oh, YUM!

7 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Hats off for your patience and perseverence!

Jennifer Rose said...

love the doors and handles. very simple looking but they go well with the paint colour :)

going to have to try that bread one day :)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Vee,

I am with you there, as the painting is the easy part.
It is all the preparation and things that need to go on before.
It will be wonderful when you finish though.
The bread looks yummy.

Hugs
Carolyn

Twiglet said...

That bread looks delicious - I have copied the recipe so will try it later.

Maria Vaz said...

It's going to look fantastic when its all done. Can't wait to see pictures of all your hardwork. Keep smiling, have fun.
I'm sending you positive vibes from across the miles. Hugs ...

Michelle Eaton said...

You are both doing so well. sounds like a huge job.

I love freshly baked bread. I should do it more often.

Linda Fleming said...

I think Mike and I have fought over these renovations more than anything in our 25 years of marriage. Jnag in there, Vee, you can now see light at the end of the tunnel.