Monday, September 14, 2009

Photo a week...

Wednesday was golf with my beloved "old guys". Howard, seated...informed me when calling to tell me our tee time..... that I should bring cake. He said it was a certain "old" guy's birthday on Saturday..but, that he didn't want to miss out on cake and maybe if it was after the fact..well, I would think it wasn't worth baking one then. He wanted it to be big enough so a few folks hanging around the course could have a piece too.... pretty cheeky ... but, when you get to be 90 you can be cheeky if you want to. I think you should be able to do any damn thing you please by then! as long as you don't hurt yourself.... ...lol.... or even if you do... what does it matter.. or so Howard says....










his feet were really bothering him this day, but he gamely managed the full nine. At the end he said...well, they don't hurt any more now than they did when I started..but, we all knew he was suffering....











it was a great day. Just the right temperature for whacking the ball around.... a few strange clouds so it didn't get too hot.....











..........still clowning around even if his feet were sore....

oh, and the cake? .... carrot cake with real cream cheese icing... ..his favourite and seeing as it just happens to be mine too, I have a great recipe ...was declared delicious by all who stopped by the table to wish Howard a happy day....... Mr. BV. was lucky there were two slices left from the 9 X 13 cake....

16 comments:

rachel said...

How nice of you - even if you didn't really have much say in the matter! The cake looks pretty good too.

Jennifer Rose said...

happy birthday to Howard :D

and yes at 90 you can get away with saying pretty much anything lol

Shashi Nayagam said...

Glad you had a lovely time hitting the ball. That cake looks delicious.

HElen said...

Happy Birthday to Howard!
Looks like you had a wonderful day and cake - it is like cherry on the top :)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Vee,

How neat that you could have a round of golf and they look like lovely old Guys.
How amazing to still be playing golf at 90! ~Happy birthday Howard and they would have loved the carrot cake, I know I would have. You must spoil them and they must love you.

Hugs
Carolyn

Dolores said...

How wonderful. Birthday, health, friends and cake.

Abi said...

This is sooo cute! How did you start playing golf with these guys?! :O)

Annie said...

Happy Birthday to Howard. Looks like you had a great day. Well done you for the cake. It looked really yummy. A x

Maria Vaz said...

Cool dudes!!! Glad you enjoyed yourself at the golf course. I remember that cake ... scrumptious! I tried baking it here, but it just didn't taste as good as the one you make.
Enjoy ... your reno's ;o)))
Hugs,
Maria

Folksie Linda said...

Hi Vee, I miss you so much! I want to thank you so much for always being there for me through this rough road.. i can't thank you enough for being there for me! I love you to pieces girl.. you have been an angel to me truly! And i miss you here so much! I am going to try to be here more.. I promise! Thank you so much my friend!

Susan said...

Hey BVee thanks for checking in on us and I love to shovel snow so that's not a worry. It's the sputtering, fuming, loud, motorized machines that I don't like.

Serena Lewis said...

Happy Birthday to Howard, albeit a little late. I love hearing about golfing days with your elderly buddies. It sounds like you would all be a lot of fun to hang with and Howard is a very young-looking 90 year old. Your cake looks scrumptious!

Michelle Eaton said...

You guys are a riot, I love it!

MaryO said...

Gosh, I hope I look that good when I'm 90 (not sure I look that good NOW). Love the photo of you with the "guys".
Happy Birthday, Howard!

Twiglet said...

Thanks for calling into my blog. I am not a golfer but your cake looked good and I bet you enjoyed a super day!

Linda Fleming said...

How sweet of youy to bake such a delicious cake for your golf buddy. I bet those guys love having such a gorgeous sexy chick who can also bake playing golf with them every summer!