Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas shopping for me...

That seems as good a place as any to begin. I know I get what I want then. Not that I want a lot... I am pretty cheap to keep. Little things amuse me. Like these...

It seems I collected bears of one type or another long before I ever began to make them. This was one of the collections I began back in the 90's. Polarkins; made by Enesco. They sit in storage all year and only come out at Christmas. I set up a little winter wonderland with them ..some tall skinny trees and some icebergs that also came with them. I found these two on e-bay for a couple of bucks! They arrived in perfect condition; one still in the original box ... from Rhode Island and the other from Texas. Prices used to range from about $10 to $35.00 .. All of a sudden they quit making them and I didn't think I would ever find any more to add to my little group. E-bay is great for that sort of thing. People change their collections...get rid of things..or whatever. As usual.. one man's trash is another's treasure! My neighbour also found one in a little out of the way shop one year and picked it up for me. She was not exactly sure it was the same thing as I collected.... but when she got it home... yes, she had remembered the look of them enough to pick it out in a "line-up". Good eye.














I like the colourful Lapland type outfits... and especially the expressions on the little faces












Here is my other bargain... on sale at Canadian tire for only $20. How can you lose? I have never had a crock pot...and likely won't use one a lot...but at that price I decided to get one for the odd time I might. I am so used to using my large dome electric skillet for slow simmering; I know amounts etc.... sometimes you just get used to something and somehow, it suits you better.










.... and then this! A cute little mat for the kitchen floor... with all the colours of my chairs... hahahah ... how lucky was that? For.... a whopping $5.95 !! I love a bargain. Guess you can tell.












Wonder what next week will bring?

6 comments:

Vee said...

Wow! You had a very good day shopping! (I'm here to give you a tip for another post...that wonderful list you made in comments on my blog deserves a post! It was really wonderful and even if one didn't do any of it, just reading it takes me away.)

love.boxes said...

I haven't had a crock pot either, but it's amazing how many of those simple, but delish recipes require one. I'm thinking of getting one myself, but I always wonder if I couldn't do the same thing with a pot in the oven.. is it less energy efficient? Does the crock pot do a better job? If these seem like dumb questions.. think of the worst cook you know and then times by 10. Ha. Ha. Love your posts.. fun to read. :)

love.boxes said...

ps. love the polar bears.. they're my favorite!

MightyMom said...

hello vee!
thank you so much for joining in Thesaurus Thursday!! Don't forget to come back tomorrow to see who won.

I love crock pots. yes they are more energy effecient and also can be left on "alone". I use mine all the time to cook meats and such to be ready when we walk in the door, just prepare, turn on and leave in am...ready by pm. I find that meat made like this in oven often dries out...never in my crock pot.

is also great for stews and soups.

Linda Fleming said...

Vee, I love your little bears! How adorable!

You will love your crock pot. I have three-LOL! I use them to make soups, spaghetti sauces, Italian beef, pot roast,and lots of other dishes.

BumbleVee said...

Oh, goody...everybody loves their crock pots... now I am really excited to try it.